Editor's note: Each month, we'd like to introduce you to one of our wonderful Glamping Hub hosts and what inspired them to create a glamping site. This month, we have T.J., who manages this multi-accommodation property on Grasshopper Island in Ontario, Canada, which features three different types of cabins, which can be seen here, here, and here, as well as these traditional tipis.
1. When was the first time you heard the term glamping??
10 years ago.
2. What inspired you to have your own glamping site?
I could have severed my private 25-acre island into 25 or more lots, sold them, and then—poof!—entire island gone. Instead, I built an island eco-destination to share with the world, those who want to just get away from it all and set their spirits free.
3. If you could describe your property or the glamping experience you offer in three words, what would they be?
Unique, breathtaking, eggperience.
4. What was your first glamping /camping experience?
Tenting in the "back forty" on my parents' farm, surviving off of fish and catching bugs in spider webs for fish bait.
5. Why would you recommend people to go glamping?
It's the experience of a lifetime! Simple is always—and I mean always—the best.
6. What should people expect when they come to your glamping site?
An experience like no other vacation.
7. What makes your property unique?
A mix of beautiful nature alongside the island's farm animals; the clients interacting with each beautiful animal; stars galore; and sunsets and sunrises that literally dance on the glittering lake before you.
8. What’s your favorite part about owning a glamping property?
The smiles on my islanders' faces! Last week, not a single person wanted to depart; I had to put my Captain's foot down.
9. What makes your property eco-friendly?
There is no electric; the sheep and alpacas cut the grass; we utilize solar power in a few places; the Wi-Fi is solar powered; piglets eat the compost; the eggperience of picking your eggs fresh; and the simple, beautiful eco-cabins.
10. Anything else you’d like to add?
I LOVE WHAT I DO! I am so blessed!